Marker stone - Frinton Rd
Does anyone know anything about the old marker stone (as photo) on Frinton road by the roundabout junction with Kings Parade.
Looks like a marker for a site that existed a long time ago. Just fascinated to know more.
Found this :
" A boundary marker, border marker, boundary stone, or border stone is a robust physical marker that identifies the start of a land boundary or the change in a boundary, especially a change in direction of a boundary. There are several other types of named border markers, known as pillars, obelisks, and corners."
Hope it helps 😀
A update and more info.
The marker seems to have been cleaned up and is now more readable.
“Site of Ancient Burial Ground” now with the help and info from Roger Kennell (local historian).
The old manor house now site of Little Holland Hall Care Home Complex had the parish church of St. Mary, which was founded sometime in the late 11th/12th century. It had surrounding it a churchyard, where the burials of parishioners took place. It was abandoned in 1650.
The road next to it, Viking Way raises the issue of artefacts and skeletons found which were not Christian burials in the churchyard. Roman finds and Bronze and Iron Age artefacts have also been found.